Dru Hill Inside and Out (The dirt,reality show, updates, 2010 album review/preview)
“Oh yeah I remember Dru Hill.” “Damn Dru Hill is back?!” “Dru Hill were the shit!” “What in the world happened to them.” Your thoughts were something like that right?
Those were just a few thoughts that crossed my mind when I did a little research on the group and I’m sure some crossed yours as well huh? So to answer those thoughts… yes they’re back. The new album is entitled “InDRUpendence Day” which is set to be released July 27th 2010. Yes they were the shit cause “Tell Me What You Want, 5 Steps, Sleeping in My Bed, and These Are the Times” were my cuts! I remember the Musketeer/ Man in the Iron Mask themed video like it was yesterday! lol Great video’s to the single’s.
So what in the world happened to Dru Hill? Wellllll let me break it down for ya…
Dru Hill Break Down (past present and future)
- Founded in Baltimore, Maryland in 1992
- In early 1996 Dru Hill (Jazz, Sisqo, Woody, Nokio) signed to Island Records.
- Dropped they’re first self titled album shortly after in November which went gold.
- Between 1996 and 1998 the group did 2 monster sound track singles. (Soulfood- Were Not Making Love No More and How to be a Player- Bad Mamma Jamma)
- In 1998 the group dropped they’re second album Dru World Order which went double platinum and had the hit single How Deep is Your Love off the Rush Hour soundtrack
- In April of 1999 during the music video shoot of Wild Wild West member Woody quit feeling a need to return to his gospel roots
- Between 1999 and 2000 each member put out a solo album. Sisqo who went pop who blew the hell up with his “Thong Song” and other singles, Jazz a traditional R&B/soul album, Nokio a hip hop album, and Woody a gospel album.
- In November 2000 all 4 members got back together and added a random 5th who I don’t even remember named “Scola” to work on they’re 3rd album entitled “Dru World Order.”
- Dru World order was released in 2 years later in 2002 because of old beef with the group and bad chemistry in which Siqo put out his second album “Return of the Dragon” which didn’t do so good along with Dru World Order….SHOCKER!
- In 2008 the 4 original member’s ditched the Scola because having a 5th member was messing with they’re money as they say and began a reunion tour with Tony! Toni! Tone!, Bel Biv Devoe and Keith Sweat.
- Then on March 6, the group appeared on WERQ, a Baltimore radio station, to promote their reunion live on air and this happened..
- The group held a contest in their native Baltimore for a replacement for Woody, settling upon a new singer, Antwuan “Tao” Simpson.
- To boost the “New Dru Hill” Keith Sweat come up with the very unoriginal idea to put the members in a mansion to live together and film every moment of they’re trial’s and tribulations to gaining stardom again. I saw a few commercials for this on BET a while back but apparently BET dropped the show and some random channel called Centric that I never even heard of picked it up. The first episode aired on June 28th 2010 which I watch online a few minutes ago here… Keith Sweats Platinum House
The reality tv series has a very low budget scripted feel to it. Especially when Keith Sweat is sitting in his chair setting up the scene’s. I’d honestly prefer him to “whine” a song as much as that hurts me to say. lol The new member Tao says that he’s brings a new young energy to the group but by the look of him he’s seem to look the oldest out of them all in my mind. Jazz gained a ton of extra pounds but still can sing all of the ass he gained off. Sisqo looks like an out of shape woman. Nokio out of all the member still looks the same and seems to be in great shape. Big ups to him for still keeping it together.
Now onto the album review. InDRUpendence Day.
1. Shut It Down 3:51
2. Do It Again 3:40
3. She Wants Me 4:04
4. Whatcha Do 3:47
5. Below Zero 4:09
6. Cant Stop 3:39
7. Remain Silent 3:48
8. Makin Luv 4:27
9. State Of Emergency 3:43
10. Back To The Future 3:50
11. Love MD 4:06
12. Away 4:45
13. Rule The World 4:14
14. Bonus Track 1:31
15. Bonus Track 1:36
16. Bonus Track 1:33
I’m diggin the album cover. Nokio’s hair style is pretty dope and out there. Jazz seems to have slimmed down since the recording of the show. Sisqo looks more like a man with some facial hair and the hat on and Tao well… he still looks like they’re old manager. lol As for the album I seriously had high hopes for it with all the dope tracks they’ve hit us with but unfortunately the album is boo boo yall. Horrible production. Not a solid single for the radio which is probably why none of us have heard one. No quality ballad. Bad quality and lyrics. And they had the nerve to remake “Rule the World” and rap on it after Dwele murdered that remix! And on top of all this auto tune is very evident through out the album and T Pain isn’t a feature yall! The bonus tracks shouldn’t even be on there. #14 is some random “carni rock track” #15 is a rock remix of “How Deep” Jazz’s vocals are the highlight of this whole album. My suggestion to him is work on a quality solo album cause there’s a big spot open for that Big Teddy Bear tpye of singer with a strong voice right now. With the lack of promo for this album and whats on it I doubt it is successful at all.
Here’s a few of the singles and one that I thought was decent…[audio: Love Md.mp3] [audio: State of Emergency.mp3] [audio: Back to the Future.mp3]
1/2 of 5 Black Milk Cartons